Using green kitchenware utensils when cooking ensures that certain toxins do not get into the food. In this article you will find the essential kitchen items for healthier and more environmentally friendly cooking!
WHY GREEN KITCHENWARE?
Because you may not be able to change the pollutants you breathe but you can change the ones you eat. Using ecological utensils ensures that certain toxins do not migrate into the food. It’s up to you.
Check your kitchen and get rid of everything that can harm you. When you want to start taking care of your health there is no better place then your gut.
Forget about plastics. Focus on glass bottles, caps and jars. It is a completely non-toxic material and therefore safe for your health. Besides, it does not alter the taste of the food and it is dishwasher safe. But discard cut glass because it may contain lead.
BAMBOO UTENSILS ARE VERY HEALTHY
Bamboo is used to make everything from cutlery to furniture and countertops. What is it about bamboo? It’s natural, it’s totally harmless to our health and it’s a very environmental friendly option. This is because it’s a plant that grows very fast making it sustainable and renewable resource. You can read more about bamboo utensils in our eco friendly kitchenware blog post.
Lead-free cast iron is durable and has the material’s own anti-adherence, with no other coating required. It can withstand high temperatures and saves energy because the cooking can be accomplished by taking advantage of the heat it retains.
TITANIUM OR STEEL BOTTLES: 100% HEALTHY
In addition to glass, here are some other materials that are perfect for your bottles: titanium and steel. Titanium is an inert metal and totally harmless to the body. Besides, it is very light. Stainless steel is another durable and safe option to contain any type of liquid. While we are discussing stainless steel, it would be worth looking at some of our that we have reviewed earlier.
PLATINUM SILICONE IS A MUST FOR GREEN KITCHENWARE
It can be used for oven, as a containers or a utensils. This material can withstand a temperatures as low as -60ºC. You can freeze food in the same container, and heat up to 260º. It is resistant, non-stick and easy to clean.
BET ON REUSABLE BAGS
Reusable bags are getting popular not only for shopping but also for stocking food. Made of silicone, they are reusable and can be hermetically sealed. Ideal for the fridge, the freezer and even for vacuum cooking. Made of organic cotton they are ideal for keeping vegetables in the fridge for longer. Say goodbye to plastic bags.
OSMOSIS: THE HEALTHIEST WATER
Having an osmosis filtration system provides healthier and safe water for drinking and cooking. Osmosis manages to eliminate substances that are harmful such as chlorine, fluorine, lead, magnesium, and mercury. These elements are heavy metals that, in high doses, can be a serious threat to health.
Recommended: Frizzlife RO Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System
GREEN KITCHENWARE ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES TO CONSIDER
– Refrigerators with 0º compartment. Because they prolong the life of food up to three times longer than normal. Better conservation and much more security.
Recommended: Caynel Mini Fridge Cooler and Warmer – Great for Skincare& Cosmetics, Breast Milk, Medications, 100% Freon-Free & Eco Friendly.
– Anti-bacterial treatment. This is available in top-of-the-range refrigerators. The walls are treated with silver ions that inhibit the proliferation of microorganisms.
– Ovens with convection. They distribute the heat evenly, cook faster and consume less.
– Use the dishwasher before washing the dishes. Why? Because it consumes about 12 liters on average compared to the 85 liters of washing the dishes.
AND OF COURSE SAY NO TO…
– Aluminium: it could have neurotoxic effects.
– Glazed ceramic: because it can contain lead and release it into the food, a very toxic heavy metal that accumulates in the body.
– Copper: usually contain tin or nickel, and can release metal residues that intoxicate.
– PVC: contains toxic additives and metals that contaminate food.
– Teflon: chemicals that are potentially carcinogenic were used to fix it. If you have any Teflon utensils you must specify that they are free of PFOA and PFOS.
Green Kitchenware is something all of us should look into investing. If you are having a kitchen makeover or buying new kitchen utensils and appliances, do consider the recommendations above. End of the day, green kitchenware is not only healthy but it also tends to be a durable option resulting in better savings in the kitchen department over the years.